Friday, July 1, 2011

KILLZONE 2 Demo REVIEW

After having played the Killzone 3 demo and witnessing(well playing) the awesomeness which it was, I decided to also try the Killzone 2 demo.

Like the Killzone 3 demo, you're pretty much already put into a combat situation, and the Helghast are already trying to kill you. Cover is even more key in this demo as the Helghast are coming from 180 degrees so you need to keep your head down at all times.

The story of this demo is that you're pretty much "sieging" the Helghast capital of Pyrrhus. The moment you make your way into the capital you're almost instantly shot down and have to gain ground away from the landingcraft. After taking out a bridge filled with Helghast mounted MGS you make you're way to a floodgate. The floodgate opens to show two Helghast APCs coming out, but the doors closing behind them. I died plenty of times since the rocket launcher you're given doesn't really harm the APCs that much, and usually I could only take out one of them.

The color pallete of Killzone 2 is much more limited to the point I had plenty of trouble distingushing ISA from Helghast. This ended up getting me dominated since the Helghast could get close and start shooting me in the face.

After a few tries and wiping out the APC Helghast me and an NPC made our way to the nearby warehouse that had the controls to the floodgate. Obviously this place was crawling with Helghast, and after flushing out the first wave with grenade spam and blowing up explosive barrels(which seem always apparent in shooters), I had to give the NPC cover so he could hack the gate controls.

Let me tell you something, when the NPC says "Cover me...", that means you're usually always going to have to fight a big wave of baddies by yourself, and that is what exactly happened. This wave of Helghast was a pain since it was hard getting around their cover without exposing myself to their fire. While I survived most of it, it was irrating that the Helghast were blind-firing(the military way of shooting gangsta in cover" and were still able to get some good hits on me.

The controls hacked we left the warehouse, and the demo ended there. While the demo ending wasn't a bad thing, this demo seemed nowhere as long as the KZ3 demo.

CLOSING COMMENTS:

This demo was pretty frustrating compared to the KZ3 demo, and while the graphics were pretty nice, the limited pallete posed a problem for me distinguishing Friendly for Foe.

In my Opinion?

8.5 Out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment