Sunday, August 14, 2011

Why Gameplay Matters (In Video Games Part 2)

Now, after making a post about why graphics matter, it would be foolery not to make a "part 2" post about why gameplay matters. Now, as I said before in the last rendition, I don't tend to see myself as a graphics whore, but I do love a game with awesome, fluid, and downright addicting gameplay.

Now, the only issue with having good gameplay, is that it's an opinionated term. While most people can agree more commonly what makes a game have beautiful and/or realistic graphics...Gameplay is a much more thorny area.

That is why we have an almost inexhaustable amount of "genres", similar to books, movies, and other forms of entertainment. Some people love RPGs, some people love FPSs, some people like Action/Adventure, but some people don't like all three, if not liking only one of these examples.

My brother and one of my best friends understand why I like shooters and why I find enjoyment in them, but they're not really "big" into them. Kind of like why I understand why they look RPGs, even though I don't play them much since I stink at them.

Also the fact we kind all agree on one thing, RTS games can be kind of boring since one "match" can take several hours, if not days even (it's happened to me I assure you). That and these battles of "brain and chilvary" can exhaust your mind, to the point that those countless moments can end in a very gruesome and aggravating defeat.

Now, while RTS games are the "Niche of the Niche" when it comes to video games, Fighting games are usually seen as "The popular of the popular". It's almost an elementary knowledge that most gamers (if not all) have played and/or enjoyed a good slug-fest on the countless franchises of Fighting games.

Somehow, unlike shooters and RPGs...and especially RTS games that can exhaust you after numerous battles and/or matches, somehow getting "K'Oed" just makes you more motivated to where you have to either win once, or even the amount of winnings so you still feel satisfied.

Well, that's about it for this topic. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment