Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Shooters and Cliches: An Update

Now, It's been awhile since I've done a passionate post on my favorite gaming genre (or has it?), and I think it's time for a good update since quite a bit has changed in the realm of the shooter.

Now, I have played two of the Halo games, but I find it just kind of jarring that after Bungie left Microsoft to make something that isn't Halo...That the supposedly only planned "trilogy" has somehow warranted 3 more games, and a lame remake of the original.

Is Microsoft so bored and so greedy that they have to milk their own best-selling franchise? I hope these two reboots sell horribly.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3...even my clanmates who loved the original MW aren't planning on getting this since the last 3 games were nowhere close to being fun as MW1. That and with stuff like Battlefield 3, why would you want this piece of milking?

Activision in my eyes has shown me that they're more greedy than Microsoft, and from what I played of any of the the Call of Duty games...I'm amazed that even one copy was sold.

Gears of War 3; why did it take this long for Epic Games to make the game actually look good? The other two games looked like a garbage can, and had the textures overall of a garbage can...It shouldn't take the third and maybe FINAL game to actually stop being lazy with the modeling and textures!

That, and we need more anime shooters! I love realistic graphics but, After seeing gameplay of the PS2/PSP versions of Ghost in the Shell...A cel-shaded, vibrant-oozing, third or first person shooter would rock! This and while Valkyria isn't a straight-TPS, it shows that there is a market for more colorful and interesting characters in the shooter-space.

It's time we evolved and expanded the shooter genre...not going back to old trends and make my most favorite genre go sour.

That's about it for me, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment